"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
Hi there! I'm Kirsten, just another 20-something year old (princess) with an affinity for all things Disney. I have a Disneyland annual pass, an unhealthy obsession for Mickey Mouse, encyclopedia-like knowledge of Disney movies, and way too much time on my hands. Add that all up and you get Mickeyandminnie!
No copyright infringement intended - I'm just looking to spread the Disney love, one post at a time. Click the pictures for original sources. If you see one of your photos posted and would like it taken down, just drop me a message and I'll be happy to do so.
1. Mickey’s original name was Mortimer, but Walt’s wife didn’t like it so Walt changed it to Mickey. (We thank Mrs. Disney - Mickey is much easier on the ears!)
2. Walt Disney was the original voice of Mickey Mouse (just as he was the original voice of Minnie, too).
3. In 1944, when the Allied Forces invaded Europe during WWII, one of the code names used was “Mickey Mouse.”
4. Mickey’s very first words were “Hot Dog!”.
5. Mickey has been dressed in over 175 costumes throughout his career.
6. To mark Disneyland’s 50th anniversary, 50 versions of Mickey’s ears were hidden throughout the park. Hidden Mickeys are elsewhere too, such as within feature films like Dumbo and across the other Disney parks.
7. The only Mickey Mouse short to receive an Academy Award was Lend a Paw, in 1941. The irony being that Mickey wasn’t even really the lead role, since the main star was Pluto.
8. Mickey’s signature white gloves first made an appearance in 1929. Supposedly, one reason for adding the white gloves was to allow audiences to distinguish the characters’ hands when they appeared against their bodies, as both were black (Mickey did not appear in color until The Band Concert in 1935).
9. Mickey Mouse’s name has been known to appear fraudulently on voter registration lists, most recently in the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election.
10. On November 18, 1978, in honor of his 50th anniversary, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The star is located on 6925 Hollywood Blvd.
2. Minnie Mouse debuted in the cartoon Plane Crazy in 1928, the same cartoon in which Mickey Mouse was introduced. Interestingly enough, she spent the whole cartoon evading Mickey’s kiss attempts! She even parachutes out of a plane to avoid him.
3. There is a lot of speculation over whether or not Mickey and Minnie are just boyfriend and girlfriend, or if they’re actually married. Although they’ve never been shown getting married in any of the cartoons, Walt has said that in his mind they have been and always will be a married couple in love.
4. Minnie Mouse was originally designed in the flapper fashion. Her first and main fashion statement was wearing the female version of a bowler hat with her signature daisy sprouting from the top. In some of the cartoons of 1929 she was revealed wearing black stockings as well, right along with her oversized signature black pumps.
5. Both of Minnie’s parents are farmers.
6. Minnie is actually the one who introduced the character of Pluto in The Picnic.
7. Minnie was originally voiced by Walt Disney.
8. For a short time, Minnie Mouse was voiced by Judy Garland (a.k.a. Dorothy!)
9. The current voice of Minnie Mouse, Russi Taylor, as well as the current voice of Mickey Mouse, Wayne Allwine, are actually a married couple! They met on the job and fell in love. (EDIT: Sad news - apparently Wayne Allwine died just last year!)
10. Minnie Mouse has numerous family members that make appearances in various Disney cartoons. Mortimer Mouse is her uncle, and Millie and Melody Mouse are her cousins.