Labor Day weekend is upon us! Which means three glorious days filled with BBQ, beach, and oh - DISNEYLAND! It’s infamously crowded at Disneyland during the Labor Day weekend [lots of kiddies getting their last shebang before school starts], so I thought I’d give a few tips on how to have fun at Disneyland when it’s packed to the brim.
- Anticipate the crowds. Go with the mindset that it will be packed - lines will be long, strollers will be plentiful, and walkways will be crammed. To be honest, there’s really no way to ‘beat’ the crowds - you just have to come mentally prepared to have a good time regardless.
- Go early! Lines are considerably shorter right after the park opens, from about 8-9am. Getting inside earlier gives you the opportunity to go one the more popular rides [Space Mountain, Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain etc.] without waiting 90 minutes in line.
- Utilize the Fast Pass system. Seriously, it can be a lifesaver. I can’t even remember the last time I waited in the normal stand-by line for Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, or Splash Mountain. It’s just not worth it. Get a Fast Pass if you can! That being said, be aware that Fast Passes will run out a lot faster than usual due to the big 3-day weekend crowds. With that in mind, I reiterate tip #2!!!
- Line up for Fantasmic EARLY. If you want to watch Fantasmic [which, duh, you would cause it is amaaaazingggggg] you’ll need to snag your spot around the Rivers of America pretty early. The first showing of Fantasmic is at 9pm, and I’ve seen people setting up blankets and camping out as early as 5pm. Now I’ll admit, that’s a little excessive. I’d say getting there by around 7:45pm should get you a decent spot. HINT: If you don’t feel like waiting around all that time, you can always opt to watch the 10:30 showing [it’s just as good]. Just hang around in New Orleans Square while the first showing is playing [you can also watch the fireworks from here], and then swoop in to the front as soon as it’s over and the people from the first showing leave. Easy peasy!
- Bring your own food. Ok, so this is actually debatable. Some people [myself included] would argue that the food at Disneyland is one of the things you visit the park for - Dole Whips, giant pickles, corn dogs, funnel cake, frozen bananas, gumbo, ice cream.. need I say more? But there is definitely value in packing your own meals/snacks. You can get a LOT more done in a day when you don’t have to spend a good portion of your time in line for food.
- Relax and enjoy yourself. A 3-day holiday weekend is NOT the time to go to Disneyland with the mindset that you have to ride everything and see every show. Just go in, take it easy, and have a good time. Ride what you can, watch what you can, and don’t fret about what you missed. You’ll have fun! Disneyland doesn’t disappoint. :)
*** Note: Haunted Mansion is currently closed for it’s Halloween makeover. The Matterhorn is NOW OPEN.